Friday, October 22, 2010

Applesauce

Applesauce (modified from original recipe from Ball Book of Home Preserving)

12 lbs apples, peeled and quartered.  As you peel and quarter them place in bowl of water with lemon juice (1/4 cup to 4 cups water).  I'm a "lazy" peeler and dont mind a few peels left on.  But I wouldnt leave them ALL on there.

Place apples in stock pot with just a little water, not much just enough to prevent sticking.  Cook until mushy.

Here is where I differ from most people...I don't use a food mill.  I just mash mine with a potato masher.  We like it chunky.

Then I add 4 Tbsp of lemon juice.  And here is where you add sugar if you want.  Recipe calls for 3 Cups.  I do it either sugar free, or only add about 1 1/2 cups.  You can also add cinnamon or any other spice here too.

Heat up until its good and hot and bubbly again.  Then ladle into hot jars (I use pints).  Leave a good head space.  Cap.

Lastly process in boiling water bath for 20 minutes for pints (sorry dont have the numbers on quarts).

VIOLA!  Applesauce!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds Yummy! I need to make some myself thanks for posting a recipe :)

    ReplyDelete